Castello di Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea
A mighty structure that dates back to the XI Century placed on the hilltop just before the Susa Valley and the road to France. Over the centuries, it has been through several vicissitudes linked to its strategic position. The Savoia family, owners of the Castle since the early Middle Ages, transformed it into a noble residence in the sixteen hundreds. Bombarded by the French in 1693, it became an important construction site under the guidance of Filippo Juvarra, who designed - for Vittorio Amedeo II - a grand royal palace that was meant to compete with other Europen courts. The project, dated 1718 and left undone, was picked up again at the end of the century by architect Carlo Randoni, but was discontinued with the napoleonic occupation. In 1883 it was sold by the Savoia family to the Rivoli City Hall that used it as barracks. The Residence was damaged and occupied by the Germans in the last World War, and the adjacent Manica Lunga, the ancient ducal Pinacoteca (picture gallery, TN) was used to provide accommodation for evacuees and homeless. The Castle reopened in 1984, after having undergone major restoration, to host the first and most important Contemporary Art Museum in Italy, featuring, on an exhibit surface of roughly 7000 square metres, its important Permanent Collection and temporary exhibits. Since 1997, it has been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.
Opening hours: from Tuesdays to Thursdays: 10.00hrs-17.00hrs; from Fridays to Sundays: 10.00hrs-21.00hrs. December 24th and 31st: 10.00hrs-17.00hrs. Closed on Mondays, open on Easter Monday, closed on January 1st, May 1st and December 25th.
Ticket: €6,50. Reductions for children aged 11-14, pensioners, teachers, students, disabled, military, cultural associations and affiliated Bodies.
Free entrance for children under 11 years of age.